[Humanist] 31.375 sustained reading from screen

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 22 08:51:28 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:57:35 +0000
        From: "Cosgrave, Mike" <M.Cosgrave at ucc.ie>
        Subject: Re:  31.371 sustained reading from screen?

I do 99.9% of my reading and work on mobile devices now (but I do still buy well made physical books; art, or poetry, or cookbooks)

I use the MacBook about once a week; and only for certain specific things which I can't do on my iPad (Printing from OpenOffice, manipulating course assets on Blackboard)

If something is worth reading for work, its worth annotating, and tools like iAnnotate or Liquid Text are simply much better for highlighting, annotating and reusing text than paper.

If I'm reading for pleasure, its simply more convenient. (and in that I think I would now include listening to podcasts while I drive to and from college.)

In practically every course I teach, I require students to submit an annotated pdf of a course reading, as well as mindmapping articles. My colleague Donna Alexander does the full spectrum from physical annotation of poetry, to digital (using hypothes.is) in her classes - we count these as all part of the active reading process

I do point out to my students that this is the result of many years of playing with tech toys, from the Newton to the Clie to the iPad culminating in having a teaching room where I can mirror my tablets (iOs and Android) to the main screen wirelessly; technology which I use daily to oppress my students.  My own children read mainly on screen, but do buy and read physical books - my feeling is that most of my students still read more on paper than on screen though.

                       www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist<http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist>
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org