[Humanist] 31.371 sustained reading from screen?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 20 07:52:52 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 06:42:18 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: sustained reading from screen?

Who does sustained reading from screen under what conditions?

My own reading habits go something like this. If the reading is of
articles from which I need to extract basics of the argument, then I
skim the text on screen and sometimes take notes. If I want to immerse
myself in the argument and assimilate the author's way of thinking, then
it has to be from a codex. (As a result of this my library grows with
alarming rapidity.) I am forced to make an exception when the book isn't
available but can be found online.

I should note that the screens I read from, when I must, are of the
high-resolution kind. I should also note that I can read from a
high-definition tablet but seldom do so unless away from home. And
I do have comfortable places to sit with said tablet.

Are these habits a function of age? Do those who have learned to read
from screen differ?

Comments welcome, as usual.

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,