[Humanist] 31.445 VR and its discontents

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 29 05:24:46 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 23:22:46 +0100
        From: Marinella Testori <testorimarinella at gmail.com>
        Subject: Plato and Virtual Reality

Dear Willard,

I would bring to your attention the following article by Mark Riboldi about
'The Promise and Disappointment of Virtual Reality':
http://lithub.com/the-promise-and-disappointment-of-virtual-reality/

There is a passage which has touched me: 'It is possible that VR does have
the ability to change our perception of the world around us [...]. But
Plato's Cave presupposes that those freeing the prisoner from their chains
to reveal the true nature of 'reality' are altruistic in their intent'.

The author speaks of a 'trap' in which VR has led us, the 'trap' - if I
have interpreted well what he says - of looking for a 'transformative'
experience of the reality, from one side, and realizing that 'the
technology is simply not good enough yet to simulate a truly authentic -
and profitable- experience', from the other.

I hope the article may be of your and other readers' interest.

Thank you for your attention,
many regards.

Marinella