[Humanist] 31.443 Summer institute: digital art history (Duke)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 27 08:28:37 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 10:14:42 -0500
        From: "Victoria Szabo" <ves4 at duke.edu>
        Subject: Summer Institute: Advanced Topics in Digital Art History-3D Geospatial Networks

Advanced Topics in Digital Art History:
3D and (Geo)Spatial Networks

June 4-16, 2018 in Venice, Italy

Digital Technologies for Historical and Cultural visualization are
transforming the ways that scholars can study and represent works of
art, as well as growth and change in urban spaces and structures.

With the support of The Getty Foundation as part of its Digital Art
History initiative, The Wired! Lab for Digital Art History & Visual
Culture at Duke University, the University of Padua'˜s Architecture and
Engineering program and Venice International University are
collaborating on a Summer Workshop that will support interdisciplinary
teams focused on the hard questions of Digital Art History as a
discipline, a set of methods, and a host of technical and institutional
challenges and opportunities.

After five editions of two-weeks summer workshops introducing concepts
and methods for digital art and architectural history through hands-on
tutorials and collaborative project development, the program for 2018
will shift to focus on advancing the field of digital art and
architectural history through a combination of project-sharing,
technology exploration, and academic discussion. After the initial
two-week gathering in Venice, we still stay in touch as a community over
the course of the next year, reconvening for one week in 2019 to write
up and assess our work.

This workshop is different than our earlier Visualizing Venice workshop
iterations in that we are asking people to apply as teams of 2 or 3, and
with a Digital Art History Mapping and/or Modeling project already in
place, and which they hope to develop further in conversation with the
group. The focus of applicant projects does not need to be on Venice or
Visualizing Cities, though projects related to those themes are welcome.
We will expect participants to share their working projects files with
the group, and will work with selected participating teams in advance of
the meeting to customize the curriculum to fit the needs and interests
of the group.

Alums of our previous introductory workshops are welcome to apply, as
are new participants, from the US and abroad. Thanks to the generosity
of the Getty Foundation, we are able to offer support for tuition,
travel, board and accommodation expenses.

More Info and Application at http://dahvenice2018.org
Deadline: January 5, 2018

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Victoria Szabo, Ph.D.
Associate Research Professor, Art, Art History & Visual Studies
Program Director, Information Science + Studies
Director of Graduate Studies, Computational Media, Arts & Cultures
Director, Digital Humanities Initiative and Co-Director, PhD Lab for
Digital Knowledge
Co-Theme Leader, Bass Connections: Information, Society & Culture
Duke University
ves4 at duke.edu | @vszabo | http://vszabo.net

Chair, ACM SIGGRAPH Digital Arts Community
http://www.siggraph.org/connect/digital-arts
arts at siggraph.org