[Humanist] 31.425 British family letters? collaborations?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 16 06:57:25 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tamar Rozett <tamar.rozett at mail.huji.ac.il>               (18)
        Subject: Posting a message about British family letters

  [2]   From:    Max KEMMAN <max.kemman at uni.lu>                            (14)
        Subject: Survey on DH collaborations

        Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:21:28 +0200
        From: Tamar Rozett <tamar.rozett at mail.huji.ac.il>

Dear Prof. McCarty,

I am a PhD student working on 19th century correspondences, and I was
wondering if I might post a short inquiry to the Humanist discussion group:

I am currently in search of British family letter collections with which to
augment my PhD project. My main corpus comprises of Empire family
correspondences (1840-1898), and I wish to compare these with some
inner-British family letters and see if the same phenomena exist in both.

For the comparison to be as accurate as possible, I am looking for letter
collections with the following specific characteristics: letters written
and sent within Britain, between family members, over the years 1840-1900.
The catch is I need to find them in transcribed form for quick analysis,
and in some accessible format: PDF or online data project would be best. So
far I have come across some prominent projects (Carlyle, Browning, Talbot,
Darwin, Rossetti), but I am still looking for more to work with. I would be
very grateful for any suggestion.

Thank you kindly, and all the best
Tamar
tamar.rozett at mail.huji.ac.il