[Humanist] 31.400 pubs: mathematization and practical knowledge

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 10:07:45 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 16:54:51 +0200
        From: Grigore Vida <grigore.vida at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: Call for Papers: Special Issue of the Journal of Early Modern Studies

Special Issue of the *Journal of Early Modern Studies* (November 2018)

Editors: Dana Jalobeanu, Grigore Vida

*The Mathematization of Natural Philosophy between Practical Knowledge and
Disciplinary Blending*

            While most of the classical narratives about the
“mathematization of nature” have become obsolete, questions concerned with
the mathematization of natural philosophy are still central to the
inquiries into the emergence of modern science. Nowadays, historians prefer
to speak about “forms of mathematization” in the early modern period (Roux
ed., 2010, 2017), in recognition of the diversity of approaches, many of
which are still in need of further investigation. Special attention was
given to mathematical practices, in tune with the important research that
has been done in the past couple of years to reveal the various “structures
of practical knowledge” (Valleriani ed., 2017). What we propose in this
special issue is to take stock of the recent developments, while opening
new directions of inquiry regarding the disciplinary status of mathematical
knowledge in the sixteenth and seventeenth century. We intend to look for
“points of intersection,” forms of borrowing and blending between
mathematical disciplines and natural philosophy. We are particularly
interested in case studies which take into account both theoretical aspects
*and* elements of practical knowledge. We would like to look, in
particular, at how various forms of disciplinary intersections and blending
shaped practices of measuring, instrument calibration and other
quantification procedures from mid sixteenth century to the mid eighteenth
century.

*Journal of the Early Modern Studies* is an interdisciplinary,
peer-reviewed journal, dedicated to the exploration of the interactions
between philosophy, science and religion in Early Modern Europe. *JEMS*
publishes high-quality articles reporting results of research in
intellectual history, history of philosophy and history of early modern
science, with a special interest in cross-disciplinary approaches. The main
language of the journal is English, although contributions in French are
also accepted. We are seeking for articles no longer than 10.000 words.

*Deadline for submission*: March 15, 2018

*Submission email*: dana.jalobeanu at celfis.ro

For more information:
https://emergenceofmathematicalphysics.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/cfp-journal-of-early-modern-studies/