[Humanist] 30.842 research grant for history of communication technologies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 08:29:12 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:46:27 -0400
        From: Andrew Butrica <abutrica at EARTHLINK.NET>
        Subject: Pam Laird Research Grant 2017

The Mercurians once again is offering the Pam Laird Research Grant
(US$1,000) to defray the cost of travel and housing to use a research
collection to pursue research in the history of communication technologies.

We have added this new initiative to encourage and reward
high-caliber research in the history of communication technologies,
broadly defined. One of the Mercurians' missions is to encourage
scholarship in the history of communication technologies. There is no
research grant program (either within or outside SHOT) that we are
aware of dedicated to supporting scholarship on the history of
communication technologies. While the history of communication
technology literature is vast and always growing, the quality of the
research effort or resulting publication too often falls short of
scholarly expectations.

In general, the research grant is awarded in alternating years. We
awarded two such grants during the 2011 SHOT annual meeting in
Cleveland. The winners were Carmen Krol, a PhD candidate in the
Department of Science & Technology Studies at Cornell University, and
Michael Lemon, a PhD student in Latin American History at Indiana
University (Bloomington). The Mercurians announced during the 2013
SHOT meeting in Portland, Maine, that Ian Johnson, a PhD student in
the History Department at Ohio State University, had won.
Subsequently, we announced that James Risk, a PhD student in the
University of South Carolina History Department, won the 2015 Pam
Laird Research Grant. We are looking forward to awarding this
important research grant again in 2017 and announcing the winner
during the SHOT meeting in Philadelphia.

Eligibility.

The grant is intended for and limited to junior scholars-meaning
either current graduate students or recent postgraduates (no more
than three years beyond the terminal degree in their field).

Requirements and Application.

Only travel to an appropriate archival collection to carry out
research on an aspect of the history of communication technology,
broadly defined, will be supported. The archive can be open to the
public, private, or even closed, provided that necessary permissions
have been obtained from the archive.

Complete the application form (available at:
http://www.mercurians.org/grant-form.doc) and e-mail it and a
curriculum vitae (no longer than 3 pages) as attachments to the
Mercurians c/o abutrica at earthlink.net
Your curriculum vitae should include pertinent publications,
fellowships, or accomplishments relevant to your proposed research,
and professional societies and affiliations.

The deadline for submitting an application for the grant is May 1, 2017.

For further information or questions, please contact Andrew Butrica
at abutrica at earthlink.net or visit our website:
http://www.mercurians.org/Prize-Grant.htm

Good luck!

Andrew J. Butrica