[Humanist] 30.835 history of online scholarly communications

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 21 07:29:25 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:22:02 +0000
        From: KU Linguistic Anthropology <anthlinguist at ku.edu>
        Subject: Re:  30.832 history of online scholarly communications?

The Linguist List, founded in 1990, looms large: http://linguistlist.org/about.cfm

Arienne M Dwyer
Professor of Linguistic Anthropology, University of Kansas
Co-Director, Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities, KU
http://idrh.ku.edu

On Mar 19, 2017, at 23:18, Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk<mailto:willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>> wrote:

                      www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist<http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist>
               Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org<mailto:humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org>

>       Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:25:12 +0000
>       From: "O'Donnell, Dan" <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca<mailto:daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca>>
>       Subject: History of Humanist-L, Medtext-l, Ansax-l, etc. (i.e. early scholarly communities online)

Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing something on online communities and scholarship. I'd appreciate any bibliographic help people can supply.

I'm particularly interested in the histories of the early scholarly communication lists--Ansax-l, Medtext-l, Humanist-l (are there others? Are there non-Anglo-American ones from the same period?

I can find a fair bit on Ansaxnet (see below); less on Humanist or Medtext. Or perhaps I should say, the google results on Medtext and, especially, Humanist, are very noisy compared to Ansaxnet.

In the case of Ansaxnet, a lot of the things I'm finding are buried in non-OCRd PDFs (e.g. some of the OEN things). I know about them because I knew to search for Pat and a lot are cited in other things. I'm guessing the same bibliographic situation might pertain to early material on other lists.

I apologise if I've overlooked something stunningly obvious.

Baker, Peter S. 1997. "Old English and Computing: A Guided Tour." In Reading Old English Texts, edited by Katherine O'Brien O'Keeffe, 192-215. Cambridge, U.K.?; New York: Cambridge University Press.

Conner, Patrick. 1987. "Ansaxnet: Telecommunications for Anglo-Saxonists." Old English Newspetter 20 (2): 25. http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/archive/OEN20_2.pdf.

Conner, Patrick W. 1992. "Networking in the Humanities: Lessons from ANSAXNET." Computers and the Humanities 26 (3): 195-204. http://www.jstor.org/stable/30204467.

Earl, Jim, Pat Conner, Karen Jolly, Sarah Higley, Sarah Keefer, Connie Hieatt, Dan O'Donnell, et al. 1990. "Bi-Coastal Beowulfians of the '90s: A Curious ANSAXNET Conversation [Excerpted from ANSAXNET, December 1990-February 1991]." Old English Newletter 24 (1): 36-39. http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/archive/OEN24_1.pdf.

Patrick Conner. 1990. "Notes from ANSAXNET, Again." Old English Newsletter 24 (1): 32-35. http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/archive/OEN24_1.pdf.

"The History of Humanities Computing Timeline." 2017. Timetoast. Accessed March 19. http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/the-history-of-humanities-computing.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English and Associate Member of the University Library Academic Staff
Editor, Digital Studies/Le champ num http://digitalstudies.org/ ?rique
 http://digitalstudies.org/
Vice President, Force 11 http://force11.org
Department of English and University Library
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Drive West
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Canada