[Humanist] 30.807 events: The Future of Our Universities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 08:07:59 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 06:58:31 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: The Future of Our Universities

The Future of Our Universities

Tuesday 28 March, 8 p.m.
Beveridge Hall, Senate House
London

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-future-of-our-universities-stefan-collini-marina-warner-david-willetts-and-dinah-birch-tickets-31884272718

What will our universities be like in ten or twenty years’ time? How
will they be funded, how accessible will they be, and how will they be
affected by Brexit? These and many other issues will be debated at a
special London Review Bookshop event.

Stefan Collini, whose latest book Speaking of Universities challenges
the marketisation of higher education, will be joined by writer and
academic Marina Warner; former Conservative Minister for Universities
David Willetts; and Dinah Birch, Pro-Vice-Chancellor at the University
of Liverpool.

FROM THE ARCHIVE
London Review of Books

STEFAN COLLINI

Sold Out (LRB 35.20, 24 October 2013)

A for-profit private provider is a business like any other: even though
it may make a lot of noise about its ‘educational mission’ and so on, it
is geared to making money for parent companies, directors and shareholders.

MARINA WARNER

Learning My Lesson (LRB 37.6, 19 March 2015)

Cuts are the tools of the ideological decision to stop subsidising
tuition and to start withdrawing from directly supporting research. What
we are in effect moving towards is the privatisation of higher education.

DINAH BIRCH

The Perfect Plot Device (LRB 30.14, 17 July 2008)

Ruth Brandon claims the uncompromising Emily Davies, whose educational
campaigns lay behind the foundation of Girton College in 1869, as the
single-handed liberator of all British women: ‘It was she who finally
destroyed the vicious circle that confined women to the elementary level
of education, and secondary place in society, that governesses were
employed not only to impart but to perpetuate.’
University and North Carolina State University; Editor,