[Humanist] 30.805 hands on

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 07:49:57 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                       (4)
        Subject: Re:  30.803 hands on

  [2]   From:    Ken Kahn <toontalk at gmail.com>                            (171)

        Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 06:54:41 -0600
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

How can we talk about code and beauty until we've articulated a concept of beauty? There isn't just one. Do you mean minimalist, symmetrical, and functional? A Rube Goldberg machine is none of those. At best it is functional, but sometimes I think not even then -- it is too easy to break. But how about Baroque coding? Gothic? Romantic?

And so much of the history of the concept of beauty is related to its relationship to nature that we are excluding a lot of this history of beauty from consideration just by applying it to code.

Let's consciously articulate an aesthetics of coding first.

Jim R