[Humanist] 30.803 hands on

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 4 07:50:13 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    David Zeitlyn <david.zeitlyn at anthro.ox.ac.uk>             (20)
        Subject: Re 30.801 hands on! & Beauty

  [2]   From:    Stéfan_Sinclair <sgsinclair at gmail.com>                   (15)
        Subject: Re: 30.799 hands on [Re: Humanist Digest, Vol 102, Issue 3]

        Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:04:34 +0000
        From: David Zeitlyn <david.zeitlyn at anthro.ox.ac.uk>

Dear all
As a riff on Gabriel Egan's evocation of Rube Goldberg / Heath Robinson
let me commend to you the video of two Swiss installation artists:

Peter Fischli, and David Weiss, 'Der lauf der dinge' (The life of things 1987) and the role of causality in it. It is a film showing an elaborate causal chain of events. (In 2003 a television advertisement featured a similar chain of events using Honda car parts.) Fischli and Weiss invest domestic artefacts with apparent lives of their own, each object setting in motion the next. The film shows a literal chain reaction. For example, a flame is lit that heats a kettle until it boils; the steam from its spout propels it down a railway track until it meets the next object and sets it moving.

[See https://vimeo.com/175928976]

A strange and and uncanny beauty, a fabricated one at that
best wishes

davidz

--
David Zeitlyn,
Professor of Social Anthropology (research). ORCID: 0000-0001-5853-7351

Oct 2015 open access paper 'Looking Forward, Looking Back'
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02757206.2015.1076813

Vestiges: Traces of Record http://www.vestiges-journal.info/ Open access journal