[Humanist] 31.134 a farewell

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 26 07:11:52 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 05:01:45 +0200
        From: Ken Friedman <ken.friedman.sheji at icloud.com>
        Subject: Farewell to Swinburne

Dear Colleagues,

One afternoon ten years ago, my telephone rang as I sat in my study looking out over the Oslo Fjord in Norway. An executive recruiter called me to ask if I might be interested in working as a dean in Australia. He told me that Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne was seeking a new Dean for the Faculty of Design, and I had been recommended. At the time, I was Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design at the Norwegian School of Management. I had never considered a managerial role. Even so, I accepted an invitation to lunch. Then one thing followed another. The university offered me the position and I accepted.

After serving a term as dean, I stayed on at Swinburne. Along the way, I had become University Distinguished Professor, and I played a role in developing Swinburne’s important new relationship with Tongji University in Shanghai.

Now, a decade later, I am leaving Swinburne. There too much to say about those ten years for me to start, and too many colleagues to thank, so I’ll simply say farewell and thank you.

Today, I work at the Tongji University College of Design and Innovation, and my responsibilities in Shanghai are expanding. We have had enormous success with She Ji — The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation, and success gives us more to do. I live in Kalmar, Sweden, part of the year and work in Shanghai part of the year. My colleagues are a joy to work with, and here, too, there are more stories to tell than I can fit into a short email.

I’m writing to friends and colleagues to announce the change. This email remains the same. I look back on a wonderful decade at Swinburne, and I look forward to many years at Tongji.

Sincerely,

Ken Friedman

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| Email ken.friedman.sheji at icloud.com | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn