[Humanist] 31.127 unrecognised

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jun 24 08:19:28 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 10:52:02 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  31.126 unrecognised

Dear Willard

 To what extent is the digital humanities a creative investigation on how mathematics can
be included in the humanities? Moretti’s book takes this issue and puts it on the front cover:
Graphs, Maps, and Trees: Abstract Models for Literary History. Moretti is essentially
creating an interpretation of the humanities which is guided partially by inclusion of
mathematical thought. The tools employed by digital humanists can be viewed as applied
mathematics underneath the layers of software and user interfaces. To see this, we need to
move beyond the “tool fallacy” (that digital humanities is only about enhancing the
humanities through digital tools). Behind the tool, we find mathematics and it seeps out.

 Jumping to your last paragraph, I completely agree - there is far too little acknowledgment
of a true interaction. For example, consider Moretti’s thesis. Maybe we can embark on
a new education on abstract mathematical structures (e.g., trees) within the humanities?
The humanities becomes a natural gateway for such exposition. Isn’t that what is really
going on in the digital humanities, and not just a tool fetish.

-paul

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Distinguished University Chair of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication
Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology