[Humanist] 31.121 best practice for sustainable databases?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 22 07:45:11 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 19:31:06 +0300
        From: Sinai Rusinek <sinai.rusinek at mail.huji.ac.il>
        Subject: sustainable databases best practice

Dear all,

I am writing for your advice regarding two cases of database projects in
our Humanities faculty, which are, I believe, symptomatic:

One was built a few years ago as an information systems student assignment
as an Access DB and consists of many thousands of pdf's of short texts -
only partly OCR'd, with varied fields of rich metadata. The other was built
on a Drupal platform and consists of a growing number of sound and video
files, transcribed and with fields of rich metadata. Both cannot be
supported any longer by their original builders, and in both projects there
are some funds to invest in the restructuring of the database. I would like
to use this opportunity to make sure the projects move to an open, reusable
and sustainable model. The problem: there is no DH lab or consultancy
around yet, and as much as we are hoping that this will change soon, we
have to take decisions fast in these two cases.

Could you share some tips, dos and don'ts, or refer my to any examples of
best practice regarding databases?

All best,
Sinai

Sinai Rusinek