[Humanist] 31.113 an over-published topic

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 19 08:24:57 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (57)
        Subject: the over-published topic

  [2]   From:    Andrew Cusworth <andrewdjcusworth at gmail.com>              (68)
        Subject: Re:  31.112 an over-published topic

  [3]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>           (53)

        Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 06:59:07 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

For some of us, including me, doing on the one hand, thinking and writing on
the other, are not distinct categories; thinking and writing are doing.
While I admit to getting annoyed with the seemingly endless stream of
writings which worry the definition of 'digital humanities', I don't agree
that all reflections on the field's state and nature are simply
self-aggrandising noise. My view is that the problem lies with what some of
the literature is paying attention to and why that's happening.

Toni Morrison wrote somewhere (in The Bluest Eye?) that we cannot do
anything about the why, we can only deal with the how. She was talking about
something far more serious, but her point is translatable. Nevertheless I
think it's important to identify potential candidates for the why. To begin
with, my leading candidate is the in-toxic-ating blend of popularity and the
anxious state of academia. Once upon a time -- cane-thumping alert -- any
sign of involvement with computing on one's c.v. spelled the end of a career
in the humanities. Now we ageing revolutionaries behold it as 'the next new
thing'. Although some of us have landed academic jobs, acquired PhDs etc in
digital humanities, the underlying problem has not been solved, only
acquired a new form. The fundamental problem, which requires all forms of
doing to be solved, remains: discovery of the common intellectual ground
or (to summon Galison) trading zone where computing and all the
disciplines trade their goods.

I think that we digital humanists (including myself) have grossly
underestimated the difficulty of connecting with the other disciplines, even
on the rare occasion when invited to do so, even when we've been alert
enough to realise how important such connecting is for a practice that goes
everywhere and so needs everyone's help and gives everyone help. Connecting
amounts to many grand challenges, as the computer scientists are wont to
say. There's first of all the prodigious amount of homework, discipline by
discipline. There's developing the self-awareness of how partial one's own
perspective on each one is. There's the vigilant defence mechanism awakened
within each discipline by any serious but poorly tutored attempt
to connect. That's just for a start. Then we get to the challenge of
awakening our interlocutors and ourselves to the fact that in talking what
sounds like inept history or philosophy or mathematics or literary studies,
say, we're trying to do something new and asking for help in doing it. Some
of them are exceedingly bright and learned people. Sometimes they just
don't get it. That's how difficult the job is.

Publishing as 'making public' is vital. But we should be slow, I think, with
turning out books until we know how to write ones that don't annoy Henry and
Jan -- and me. Let's hope for some other next-new-thing to come along and
take the heat off so that others can work in peace.

Sure, for the historian, philologist or whomever, focused on his or her
current research, as long as the digital chisel holds its edge and so allows
the scholar to 'attend from' it (Michael Polanyi's term) to the work at
hand, all this chatter can only seem to be about nothing real. But we know
the tool won't always be -- in fact never quite is -- the right one. Those
over in the digital humanities corner, together with their colleagues in
computer science, need to be left in peace so that they can understand the
sufficiency needed and come up with better tools.

Comments?

University and North Carolina State University; Editor,