[Humanist] 31.108 events: digital humanities; diversity; art & materiality; history

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 16 07:32:23 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    d9842003 at gms.ndhu.edu.tw                                  (62)
        Subject: CFP: Digital Humanities Evolving

  [2]   From:    Royal Anthropological Institute <admin at therai.org.uk>     (29)
        Subject: Art, Materiality and Representation

  [3]   From:    Tom Brughmans <tom.brughmans at yahoo.com>                   (10)
        Subject: The Connected Past: registration open, programmes published

  [4]   From:    "Flanders, Julia" <j.flanders at northeastern.edu>           (16)
        Subject: IMLS Forum: Design for Diversity (invitation to participate)

        Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:45:13 +0800
        From: d9842003 at gms.ndhu.edu.tw

Call for Papers/Panels/Posters

The 8th International Conference of Digital Archives and Digital Humanities

Conference Theme: Digital Humanities Evolving: Past, Present, and Future

Venue: National Chengchi University, Taipei

Dates: November 29 – December 1, 2017

While the debates over the definition, landscape, and scale of digital
humanities continue, digital humanists seem to have a consensus that digital
humanities are constantly evolving and facing new challenges.  Take big data
as an example.  Technologies automatically and instantly archive what people
say, what people do, and even what people think.  The rich information
provided by big data leads humanities research to a new frontier that can
hardly be imagined by classical humanists.  However, the self-archived data
contain real, virtual, and even fake contents.  How shall digital archivists
and digital humanists embrace big data and big data analytics?
Alternatively, will the ubiquitous digitization transform human culture and
make 'digital humanities' simply become 'humanities'?

Digitalization involves computing.  Digital humanists share the same tools
with computational social scientists to extract information, to analyze
social network, and to perform geospatial analysis.  Digital humanists have
also attempted to apply the tools of computational social sciences to model
and simulate the complex human experiences.   In the meanwhile,
computational social scientists are exploring sentiment modeling.  When the
research tools and topics of interest become common, how far can digital
humanists and social scientists collaborate to gain deeper insights into
common research problems and cope with shared challenges?

Continuing the legacy of the past 7 annual conferences of DADH, we welcome
the submissions of paper or poster abstracts and panel proposals related to,
but not limited to, the aforementioned issues, digital technologies and
applications, interdisciplinary research in humanities and social sciences
with the use of digital data, theoretical and epistemological considerations
in digital humanities, digital humanities education, digital arts and music,
digital infrastructure, cultural heritage, and internet analysis.

Submission Guidelines

-- Submission of a single paper abstract, poster abstract, or a panelproposal is welcomed.

-- All submissions are to be done online (website:
http://www.aiecon.org/conference/DADH2017/submission.htm).

-- Submitted abstract for a single paper or poster should contain
1,000-3,000 words.

-- Submitted panel proposal should contain at least 1,500 words.  The panel
proposal should provide an overview and the abstracts of 3-4 papers.

Post-Conference Publication

All authors who attend the conference will be invited to submit revised
papers to the special issues of the following journals:

New Mathematics and Natural Computation
http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscinet/nmnc  (World Scientific)

Journal of Digital Archives and Digital Humanities (Taiwanese
Association for Digital Humanities)

Detailed information will be announced later.

Important Dates

-- 2017/07/16 Paper/Poster/Panel submission due
-- 2017/08/31 Acceptance Notification due
-- 2017/10/04 Early registrations due
-- 2017/11/04 Presenter registrations due
-- 2017/11/24 Registrations due
-- 2017/11/29-12/01 Conference Dates

Sponsors:

AI-Econ Research Center
National Chengchi University
Research Center for Digital Humanities, National Taiwan University
Taiwanese Association for Digital Humanities