[Humanist] 31.104 marvels

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 07:18:10 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 06:04:49 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: marvels

As a youth I remember my science teacher's attempt to communicate
something of the marvels he had witnessed. He was born, he said, before
the first airplane flew (in 1903) and had lived to see jet planes. We in
public mode marvel when witnessing very young children playing
with iPads and, in consequence, attempting to activate pictures in printed
books by poking at them with their fingers. Yes, the presence of
computational devices from the cradle is a sign of the times and of the
likely future. Just this morning, however, I saw a video of an
ultrasound session that showed the mother's first child, almost 3 years
old, watching the live video of his sister or brother (too early to
tell) moving about in utero: a profoundly biological vision afforded by
a computational device.

We have read now for decades of computer scientists turning, reverting
to biological systems for new ideas and challenges, and of the blurring
of computational biology and biological computing. The question asked of
new (strictly speaking) creatures, 'is it alive?', Keller writes, is
perhaps less of a philosophical than an historical question. But what
strikes me, especially after watching that video of a grandson watching
a sibling in formation, is that it's life we're looking at -- that the
great physicist Schrödinger, who gave those famous lectures on the
question "What is Life?" in 1943, would be immensely pleased.

Let's put biology on our agenda!

-----
University and North Carolina State University; Editor,