[Humanist] 31.101 in what sense a perfect language

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 07:08:12 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:26:18 +0200
        From: Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>
        Subject: Re:  31.97 in what sense a 'perfect language'?

Dear Willard,

Your citation of Eco's The Search for a Perfect Language
reminded me of Gregory Chaitin's talk with a near same title:

 The Search for the Perfect Language?
 <https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~chaitin/pi.pdf>

given at the Perimeter Institute on 21.09.2009, with a video
here:  http://pirsa.org/displayFlash.php?id=09090007
[1h11m35s].

Chaitin's talk is a merry romp through some history of
mathematics and, in his words, a continuation of the story Eco
tells with more modern work on logical and programming
languages.

Chaitin's talk is of some relevance, I think, to your asking
about [computational] "mothers made of wire."  Amongst several
things, I liked, we have this.

 "...  Christian Huygen's hated Leibniz's calculus because he
  [Huygen] said that it was mechanical, it was brainless: Any
  fool can just calculate the answer by following the rules,
  without understanding what he or she is doing.  Huygens
  preferred the old, synthetic geometry proofs where you have
  to be creative and come up with a diagram and some
  particular reason for something to be true.  Leibniz wanted
  a general method.  He wanted to get the formalism, the
  notation, right, and have a mechanical way to get the
  answer."  (Top of page 4.)

However, Chaitin ends at a place I would not go, but which
perhaps relates some to the scholarship of 'distant reading'
you refer to.

 "...  So from the perspective of the Middle Ages, I would
  say that the perfect languages that we've found have given
  us some magical, God-like powers, which is that we can
  breath life into some inanimate matter.  Observe that
  hardware is analogous to the body, and software is analogous
  to the soul, and when you put software into a computer, this
  inanimate object comes to life and creates virtual worlds.

 "So from the perspective of somebody from the year 1200, the
  search for the perfect language has been successful and has
  given us some magical, God-like abilities, except that we
  take them entirely for granted."

Where I would go is the place that insists that everybody, who
uses instruments to aid their investigations, knows well how
these instruments work and are engineered, so as to know well
what artifacts their use may introduce in to the observations
and treatments performed with them.  Good astronomy is not
done merely by looking through a good telescope.  A good
knowledge and understanding of optics and how the telescope
implements these well enough, is also required, if false or
misleading observations, and claims based upon these, are to
be avoided.

Best regards,

Tim