[Humanist] 31.100 Digital Classicist Seminar (Berlin) cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 14 06:54:39 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 17:41:26 +0200
        From: Matteo Romanello <matteo.romanello at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin: CFP 2017/18

Dear All,

The new call for papers for the Digital Classicist seminar Berlin 2017/18
is now out! You can find it online at <
http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/cfp> as well as here below.

The deadline to submit abstracts of 500 words max. is July 31.

I'd be very grateful if you could forward this call to any interested
parties!

Best wishes,
Matteo Romanello
on behalf of the organising committee

Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin 2017/18: Call for Papers

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the sixth series of the
Digital Classicist Seminar Berlin [1], organised in association with the
German Archaeological Institute and the Interdisciplinary Research Network
Digital Humanities in Berlin (ifDHb). It will run during the winter term of
the academic year 2017/18.

We invite submissions on any kind of research which employs digital
methods, resources or technologies in an innovative way in order to enable
a better or new understanding of the ancient world. We encourage
contributions not only from Classics but also from the entire field of
"Altertumswissenschaften", to include the ancient world at large, such as
Egypt and the Near East.

Themes may include digital editions, natural language processing, image
processing and visualisation, linked data and the semantic web, open
access, spatial and network analysis, serious gaming and any other digital
or quantitative methods. We welcome seminar proposals addressing the
application of these methods to individual projects, and particularly
contributions which show how the digital component can facilitate the
crossing of disciplinary boundaries and answering new research questions.
Seminar content should be of interest both to classicists, ancient
historians or archaeologists, as well as to information scientists and
digital humanists, with an academic research agenda relevant to at least
one of these fields.

Anonymised abstracts [2] of **300-500 words max.** (bibliographic
references excluded) should be uploaded by **midnight (CET) on 31 July
2017** using the dedicated submission form [3]. Although we do accept
abstracts written in English as well as in German, the presentations are
expected to be delivered in English. When submitting the same proposal for
consideration to multiple venues, please do let us know via the submission
form. The average acceptance rate is 37%.

Seminars will run **fortnightly on Tuesday evenings (17:15-19:00)** from
October 2017 until February 2018. The full programme, including the venue
of each seminar, will be finalised and announced in September. As with the
previous series, the video recordings of the presentations will be
published online and we endeavour to provide accommodation for the speakers
and contribute towards their travel expenses.

[1] http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/

[2] The anonymised abstract should have all author names, institutions and
references to the authors work removed. This may lead to some references
having to be replaced by “Reference to authors’ work”. The abstract title
and author names with affiliations are entered into the submission system
in separate fields.

[3] http://de.digitalclassicist.org/berlin/submit