[Humanist] 31.175 the all-or-nothing logic of socio-political life?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 13 07:25:30 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:23:16 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: differences the digital has made

You'd never know it from the title, "Reasons for Corbyn" (referring to
the leader of the U.K. Labour Party) but the article by William Davies
in the latest London Review of Books, 39.14 for 13 July, has much of
interest to say about the effects of the "new media ecology" on our
public and private lives. See https://www.lrb.co.uk/ for the entire
article.

What caught my eye in particular was the following, in reference to the
conditions established by this ecology, under which

> public credibility depends on boundless sincerity and obsessive
> consistency, as well as a disregard for the way one is seen by
> others.

It caused me to wonder whether the two qualities named distantly
reflect the conditions of digital representation, as I see them:
absolutely consistency and complete explictness, or as von Neumann said,
the "all-or-nothing logic" of the digital machine.

Comments?

University and North Carolina State University; Editor,