[Humanist] 30.637 pubs: Distracted Reading cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 10 09:49:51 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 19:15:46 -0500
        From: M Thain <m.thain.research at gmail.com>
        Subject: Deadline reminder: Distracted Reading

A reminder that the deadline for abstracts for the CFP forwarded below is
the end of January. Thanks to everyone who had already submitted; I look
forward to hearing from others soon -- Marion

Call for Papers (Digital Humanities Quarterly)

Distracted Reading: Acts of Attention in the Age of the Internet

Central to the humanities is the theorisation and practice of modes of
attention (to cultural artifacts and to other aspects of the world).
Indeed, within our teaching spaces many of us devote much time to finding
ways to redirect our students’ attention away from the distractions of
their multiple electronic gadgets. But what if we consider how their
distributed focus might enable new acts of attention and new ways of
reading? How might we rethink pedagogy and our own research methods in an
era of hyper-connectivity?

There is nothing new about distraction, but such questions have a
particular relevance in light of recent models, such as those of the
distributed cognition theorists, that describe our electronic devices as
potential cognitive extensions of ourselves: what we think of as mind can
be dispersed across objects external to our bodies. If this is the case,
how might we think about the new potential these devices offer and the new
methods they enable within humanities’ disciplines?

We invite submissions for a special issue of Digital Humanities Quarterly
(DHQ) on this topic.

‘Reading’ should be taken to represent any act of critical engagement with
works in any medium (text, visual art, film, or music, for example). Of
particular interest are papers that connect research and pedagogy. Topics
are certainly not limited to the following, but might include:

-- the use of different digital tools simultaneously within a group of
students or scholars to draw out and represent different aspects of one
work (whether, for example, a painting, film, text or a piece of music) for
analytic purposes

-- the use of social networking tools to shape new acts of attention to our
objects of study;

-- the use of annotation software with groups of students, and the new
research methods this might inspire (or vice versa)

-- the use of spatial and distributed modalities to better comprehend or
represent what are usually thought of as linear modes of reasoning
(critical, philosophical, historical, or others); for example, the
possibilities packages such as prezi offer for representing spatial
relationships between concepts or ideas.

Deadline for abstracts: January 31st 2017

400 words; submitted as a Word doc. attachment.

Send to marion.thain at nyu.edu.

Deadline for full papers: July 31st 2017

Word limit: 7,000 words

Style: inline author-date references, with a full list of works cited at
the end (footnotes used only for digressions and explanations)

Send to marion.thain at nyu.edu.

With best wishes,

Marion Thain
New York University