[Humanist] 30.736 ADHO: international conference travel

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Feb 11 07:53:10 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:24:27 -0500
        From: Hannah L Jacobs <hannahlj at gmail.com>
        Subject: A Statement from ADHO on International Conference Travel

International conference travel

http://adho.org/announcements/2017/statement-international-conference-travel

The Chair of the ADHO Steering Committee writes:

ADHO is sharply aware of the uncertain political situation in the US,
especially in relation to the travel restrictions that were announced, and
of the impact this may have on DH in general and all DH conferences to come.
DH is a global community, and diversity and inclusivity belong to ADHO’s
core professional values. Travel restrictions would greatly harm our
community. ADHO shares the concerns of all those affected or troubled by a
US travel ban, and we thank the community for continued input and
discussion, and its passionate advocacy for justice.

Recently, ADHO published the call for bids for DH2020. According to the
three-year rotation DH2020 is expected to be hosted in the US or Canada.
(See
http://adho.org/administration/conference-coordinating/annex-adho-conference-protocol
.) People have expressed their concern about that. However, our conference
protocols are designed to be maximally flexible and sensitive to all sorts
of situations, political and institutional, as we choose conference venues.
A lot can change between now and when we make our DH2020 decisions, and we
encourage potential hosts in both the US and Canada to consider to put in a
bid. We hope both potential hosts and potential attendees will continue to
share their concerns and opinions.

More practical information will follow in due course.

Hannah L. Jacobs
--
Multimedia Analyst, Wired! Lab, Duke University
Chair, Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations Communications Committee