[Humanist] 31.495 interdisciplinarity and markup

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 31 10:24:16 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 09:49:37 -0500 (EST)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: interdisciplinarity and the object of markup

Willard

I have been following with interest the recent (and ancient) thread on
interdisciplinarity. I am intrigued by not only bridges but the building
blocks of bridges.

I wonder if, at a sufficiently abstract level, some of those blocks may
exist in the practice of markup. Markup aims to create a structured
object.

Historically, we have come to a point where languages that express such a
structured object can also be used to transform the structured object.
Given the wise practise of documenting the decisions that lead to the
creation of the structured object, in a sense a metalanguage is available
to serve as a bridge between disciplines and further conversations about
objects and their transformations.

In this light, one might consider the Text Encoding Initiative as a
multidisciplinary project.

Notice I have avoided the mention of "method" in favour of "practice".

--
Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-large