[Humanist] 31.471 the anomalous, the odd, the peculiar

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 17 09:25:06 CET 2017

Thanks to Bill Benson in Humanist 31.471 for his hamburgerish American
response, "where is the beef?", to my complaint about cognitivism, i.e.
about the implication in certain uses of language that thinking simply
is computing. I hold to my beef, that words matter, hence their
implications, connotations, associations and so on. Handwaving this away
simply won't do. (Note, if you will, that one's native disciplinary
orientation matters; mine, being deeply literary, comes out here.) But I
can be more sophisticated about this, so let me try.

The problem I am pointing to occurs at the point John Haugeland
identified in 1978 in "The nature and plausibility of Cognitivism": the
point at which one asks, "What else could it be?" Tim Van Gelder, in
"What might cognition be, if not computation?" (1995), quotes Alan Newell:

> ...although a small chance exists that we will see a new paradigm
> emerge for mind, it seems unlikely to me. Basically, there do not
> seem to be any viable alternatives. This position is not surprising.
> In lots of sciences we end up where there are no major alternatives
> around to the particular theories we have. Then, all the interesting
> kinds of scientific action occur inside the major view. It seems to me
> that we are getting rather close to that situation with respect to
> the computational theory of mind.(p. 346)

I would insist on maintaining Newell's "seems", or to put it another
way, to the as-if status of this theory of mind, or still another way,
to the question to which we have no firm answer. Goosing the guess
(pushing the paradigm?) leads to progress in research, then to a
breakdown, and new ideas. Over 20 years ago Van Gelder noted that "the
computational vision has lost much of its lustre". For my point it
matters less where we are now than that we are going somewhere else.

And why does one have to have a model of mind? Modelling is a wonderful
and productive activity, but it ain't everything.

Comments?

--
Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western