[Humanist] 31.469 events: global symposium cfp; evidence in African-American studies; open house (Loyola)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 15 07:45:54 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Kyle Roberts <kyleroberts20 at gmail.com>                    (76)
        Subject: Open House for Master’s in Digital Humanities Progam at
                Loyola University Chicago, January 18th

  [2]   From:    Kristen Mapes <kmapes at msu.edu>                            (19)
        Subject: Final Reminder: Global Digital Humanities Symposium 2018,
                Call for Proposals (Deadline: FRIDAY)

  [3]   From:    "Rawson, Katie" <katie.rawson at emory.edu>                  (35)
        Subject: Workshop - Recounting Evidence in African American Digital
                Studies

        Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:46:21 -0600
        From: Kyle Roberts <kyleroberts20 at gmail.com>
        Subject: Open House for Master’s in Digital Humanities Progam at Loyola University Chicago, January 18th

Join us to learn about the Master’s in Digital Humanities Program at
Loyola University Chicago on Thursday, January 18th, at 6 pm. Register here
<https://gpem.luc.edu/register/?id=25085cc0-2f81-4cc9-acd6-2bd11802e6c3>.

Learn first-hand the ways in which computational technologies are
transforming how we ask - and seek to answer - age-old humanistic
questions. Gain a theoretical understanding of how technology shapes our
lived experience while developing practical knowledge of making and
building. Learn more
<https://luc.edu/media/lucedu/ctsdh/documents/MA-Digital_Humanities-Flyer_FINAL.pdf>
.

Our Students

Our students arrive from different fields and disciplines, including
literary studies, history, computer science, communications, and library
and information science. They come from diverse cultural backgrounds, and
find a home in Loyola’s interdisciplinary research center, the Center for
Textual Studies and Digital Humanities <https://luc.edu/ctsdh/>, where they
undertake research projects, present public programs, and gather socially.

Our Curriculum

In our 30-hour part-time or full-time program, our students are trained in
the practice and critical study of the intersections between the humanities
and computational social science. Coursework
<https://luc.edu/ctsdh/academics/curriculum/> and research projects range
from digital textual editing, archiving, publishing, and data analysis, to
the study of new media. Students collaborate with world-renowned faculty
and curators before embarking on a capstone project of their own design.

Your Career

MA in Digital Humanities graduates are prepared for careers in the private
and academic sectors, including education, libraries, archives, museums,
tech firms, and PhD programs.

What Our Students Say*

"The diversity and global stature of Chicago are big parts of the reason I
love the city. I was drawn to Loyola's strong reputation and emphasis on
knowledge not for its own sake but for the service of others and the human
community. Loyola's commitment to excellence and global awareness resonated
with me during a time when our political leaders at the state and national
level seem determined to pull away from science and the global community.
Loyola's commitment to social justice in Plan 2020
(https://www.luc.edu/strategicplanning/plan2020/
<https://www.luc.edu/strategicplanning/plan2020/>) gave me confidence that
a degree from Loyola would prepare me not just for my own future, but to
give back to others in Chicago and make a positive difference in the
world."
Tyler Monaghan, Class of 2019

We are currently accepting applications for admission
<https://luc.edu/ctsdh/academics/maindigitalhumanities/> for the Fall 2018
semester. The deadline to be considered for fellowship support is February
1, 2018.

Learn More

   - In Chicago? Join us for an Open House on Thursday, January 18, at 6
   pm. Register here
   <https://gpem.luc.edu/register/?id=25085cc0-2f81-4cc9-acd6-2bd11802e6c3>.
   - Further afield? Watch a recent online info session here
   <https://luc.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=e460dff8-1415-4e03-9c36-3edc46113c23>
   .
   - Want to visit campus? Or talk by phone or Skype? Email Dr. Kyle
   Roberts (kroberts2 at luc.edu) for more information.

Visit our Website
luc.edu/ctsdh

Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/LUCCTSDH/>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/luctsdh>

--
Kyle B. Roberts
Associate Professor of Public History and New Media

History Department
Loyola University, Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60660