[Humanist] 31.465 not reaching for the smartphone

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 14 09:45:21 CET 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 08:24:39 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: not reaching for the smartphone

The Norwegian lawyer, art collector and explorer Erling Klagge, in his
book Silence in the Age of Noise, describes sitting at the dinner table
with his children, recalling the time when they were possessed by wonder:

> Questions and answers, questions and answers. Wonder is the very
> engine of life. But my children are thirteen, sixteen and nineteen
> years old and wonder less and less; if they still wonder at anything,
> they quickly pull out their smartphones to find the answer... their
> heads are now filled with more ambitions than questions.

there's always a tradeoff. Here too, it seems. And here too it's a
matter of how the tool is used: going googling is a highly effective way
of discovering, through the ocean of secondary sources which quickly
stretches beyond sight that there's more to comprehend than can be, and
so more to wonder about than can be extinguished with answers.

Dame Gillian Beer, writing about interdisciplinary research, worries the
problem of competence. In academic work is this not always the close
companion of curiosity? Beyond the practicalities of how to find out
about a discipline one needs but does not have, what is the training
required? Is there any beyond the experience of doing it? I worry the
problem of how digital humanities is to engage with all the disciplines
it needs given that untrammelled curiosity and its articulation in
doing interdisciplinary work is given so little attention.

In his "Human versus mechanical intelligence" (1996), Turing's friend
Robin Gandy quotes Donald MacKay’s comment that attributing
intelligence to machines “would not primarily be a matter of using
evidence and knowledge, but a matter of having the nerve." I
propose Erling Klagge, who has reached the North and South Poles
and the summit of Everest, as a fine example for the digital
humanist to emulate.

Comments?

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,