[Humanist] 31.263 RA in user-interface design (Luxembourg)
Humanist Discussion Group
willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Aug 26 09:38:17 CEST 2017
Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 31, No. 263.
Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London
Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 04:39:31 +0000
From: Marten DURING <marten.during at uni.lu>
Subject: Research Associate in User Interface Design and Development (36m, 1.0 fte)
we are excited to announce this job opening for a full-time designer/developer - please note the application deadline 10.9.2017 and contact me for any questions.
With best wishes,
Digital Humanities Research Associate in User Interface Design and Development
Fixed Term Contract
The University of Luxembourg is recruiting for the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C²DH) a
Digital Humanities Research Associate in User Interface Design and Development (M/F)
* Reference number : R-AGR-3278-10-C
* 34,5-months fixed term contract
* Employee status
In the context of the SINERGIA funded research project IMPRESSO, the C²DH is looking for a research associate with a Master’s degree who will drive the development of a new type of user interface for the annotation and exploration of large newspaper corpora through human and machine computation. The ideal candidate will bring a thorough background in user interface design, the ability to co-create a design vision with historians and technical partners as well as the necessary skills to implement the design using state of the art web technologies. The position offers the opportunity to work in an international team with renowned experts in the domain of deep learning and entity recognition and to explore new pathways in the use of newspapers as historical sources.
IMPRESSO is an interdisciplinary research project dedicated to the enrichment and the exploration of digitized historical newspapers. It is carried out by the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital history (C2DH) and Swiss partners DHLAB at the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), University of Zürich’s Institute for Computational Linguistics and funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University. The candidate will be based in the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C2DH), a research centre for the study, analysis and public dissemination of contemporary history of Luxembourg and Europe with a particular focus on digital methods and tools for historical research. It serves as a catalyst for innovative and creative scholarship and new forms of public dissemination and societal engagement with history in Luxembourg.
* Design, develop and implement a user interface for the exploration of historical newspaper corpora
* Follow an iterative approach that includes participatory design principles to engage users and stakeholders throughout the project
* Work as part of an interdisciplinary team at the C2DH and the IMPRESSO project consortium in an independent and proactive way
* Participate in other IMPRESSO work packages where expertise is required and coordinate locally with the partners in Switzerland
For any questions regarding the advertised position, please contact Dr Marten Düring (marten.during at uni.lu).
* An experienced user interface designer with an interest in participatory design
* Master’s degree in user interface design, computer science or related disciplines
* Advantageous are:
o Experience with METS and ALTO XML standards
o Knowledge of current database technologies (Neo4j, Mongo DB etc.)
o Working knowledge of Scrum/AGILE
* Great communication skills
* Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate methodological, organised, pragmatic and effective approaches to your work
* Fluency in English is required, knowledge of French and/or German are considered an asset
* Deadline for Application: 10.09.2017
* Earliest Planned Start Date: 15.10.2017
Please submit your application online (CV, cover letter, portfolio of prior work with descriptions of your contributions) in English with the reference R-AGR-3278-10-C
Applications will be handled in strict confidence.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.
Dr Marten Düring
UNIVERSITÉ DU LUXEMBOURG
Maison des Sciences Humaines
11, Porte des Sciences
T +352 46 66 44 9029
More information about the Humanist