[Humanist] 31.245 manipulatory computing? present state of OCR?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 15 08:58:51 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (32)
        Subject: manipulatory?

  [2]   From:    Ryan Cordell <rccordell at gmail.com>                        (26)
        Subject: Report on the present & future of humanities OCR

        Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:26:51 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

A while back we were discussing the role of mathematics in thinking at
what I like to call the 'base-level' of digital research, that is, with
awareness of the all-or-nothing logic that governs the operations of the
machine and the combinatorics that it makes possible. At this level
what happens is rather close to the Sino-Japanese game of go, and at
a further remove any sort of manipulatory operation that people use to
reckon, i.e. count, account, think, play.

My question is this: what is the relation between physical manipulatory
reckoning (in all those senses) and reasoning with computers as we know
them now? In the days when I did assembler-language programming I
thought of many of the instructions (e.g. 'shift left accumulator 2
bits') quite physically, imagining the hardware as if bits were moved in
space from one slot to another. The very language of those instructions
encoded the kinaesthetics of calculation (calculus, 'small stone'). I'd
guess we don't think like that now. But is that so? Are there any studies
e.g. in cognitive psychology which bear on this question?

We are able to ignore sub-vocalisation when it happens while we're
reading. Are we ignoring some kind of kinaesthesis when we're computing
these days? To draw on Aden Evens' argument in Logic of the Digital, the
equivalent to shifting bits is our alphabetic (or alphabetically inspired)
typing on the keyboard and clicking or not clicking the mouse on this
or that provided icon -- all choices among discrete (rather than
continuous), software-defined possibilities.

Any references to writings from cognitive psychology or elsewhere would
be greatly appreciated.

Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western
Sydney University and North Carolina State University; Editor,