[Humanist] 31.244 events: Early Digital Computing in Central & Eastern Europe cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Aug 14 07:24:27 CEST 2017

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 14:56:49 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Early digital computing in Central and Eastern Europe

Early Digital Computing in Central and Eastern Europe
Cluj Napoca, Romania
28-29 November 2017
Call for papers
http://bit.ly/earlydigit

The 1996 IEEE CS Computer Pioneer Award long list of computer scientists
from Central and Eastern Europe was an acknowledgement of their work on
the evolution of computer science behind the Iron Curtain. The history
of the dawn of computers on this particular side of the world was
shadowed by the intense interest in evolution of the field in Russia,
closely scrutinized during the start of the Cold War. What happened
between Eastern Germany and Russia was regarded as a footnote when
addressing the history of computing. We would like to expand that
footnote not only by exposing the technical mastery and engineering
craftsmanship, but also adding stories from the birth of the magnificent
calculating behemoths.

Transylvania Digital Humanities Centre (DigiHUBB) invites participants
from Central & Eastern Europe to join us at the Babeș - Bolyai
University in Cluj Napoca, Romania to share the hidden stories of the
first digital workers and the primitive computers from their respective
countries. We are looking for presentations from mathematicians,
computer scientists and technology historians accessible to a
non-technical audience.

[...]

IMPORTANT DATES
Deadlines :

- Abstract submission: 15 August 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 5 September 2017
- Final version of paper: 30 October 2017
- Workshop: 28-29 November 2017

All proposals will be peer-reviewed and published in the second issue of
Studia UBB Digitalia.  We welcome applications from scholars at all
stages of their careers. The conference website will be updated on a
regular basis.

Please send your proposal using the form available at:
http://bit.ly/earlydigit_form

For more information see http://bit.ly/earlydigit

--
Willard McCarty (www.mccarty.org.uk/), Professor emeritus, Department of
Digital Humanities, King's College London; Adjunct Professor, Western