[Humanist] 30.445 events: EADH Day (Rome); Dean Irvine (Agile); edges, surfaces, materialities (UCLA)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 28 10:40:14 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Élika_Ortega <elikaortega at gmail.com>                     (52)
        Subject: UCLA Symposium: Composition Across/Between Edges, Surfaces
                and Materialities Dec. 8, 2016

  [2]   From:    Anna Jordanous <A.K.Jordanous at kent.ac.uk>                 (62)
        Subject: A week of DH events at the University of Kent (UK) with DH
                Visiting Fellow Dean Irvine (Agile Humanities Agency,
                Canada)

  [3]   From:    Fabio Ciotti <fabio.ciotti at uniroma2.it>                   (95)
        Subject: CfP: 3rd EADH DAY, in conjunction with AIUCD 2017, Sapienza
                Un. Roma,  Jan 25, 2017

        Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 11:03:52 -0400
        From: Élika_Ortega <elikaortega at gmail.com>
        Subject: UCLA Symposium: Composition Across/Between Edges, Surfaces and Materialities Dec. 8, 2016

Dear all,

I am happy to announce (if you have not seen this elsewhere) two events at
UCLA in early December (Dec 8-9) co-organized by Miriam Posner, Patrik
Svensson and myself.

All best,
Élika

Composition Across/Between Edges, Surfaces and Materialities
Symposium, Dec 8, 2016

This symposium explores compositions that happen, emerge, or are partly
enacted at edges, between surfaces and across materialities, scales and
modalities. These kinds of compositions–narrative, artistic, scholarly,
political, infrastructural, etc.–demand a reorientation of established
knowledge models, critical stances, vocabularies and infrastructures. They
shift our attention to their architecture – conceptual and material – and
the very process of composition as argumentative, narrative, and strategic
media ideations. The symposium aims to develop further understandings of
these compositions and partake in the imagining of new practices based on
prolonged conversations, a range of concrete examples and thematic
interventions.

Questions addressed include: What compositions might be possible (and not
possible) in contemporary – complex and multimodal – information ecologies?
What tools and narrative/material strategies would be necessary to enact
them? How can we go beyond “edged” thinking and practice (and contemporary
compositional regimes)? How can we learn from earlier and contemporary work
on materially complex compositions? What is the compositional significance
of the edges? How do they affect material relations of power? How can they
be used to enact social and cultural shifts? Participants bring expertise
from a range of fields and practices including literary studies, design,
scientific visualization, digital humanities, media studies, art history,
classics, media arts, and information studies.

Among invited and confirmed participants (so far) are: Rita Raley, Ricardo
Domínguez, Mark Marino, Anne Balsamo, Zach Horton, Carter Emmart, Johanna
Drucker, Erkki Huhtamo and Jeremy Douglass.

More information and registration here:
http://dhbasecamp.humanities.ucla.edu/compositions/

Please register and join us in Southern California/at UCLA in December (and
also take the opportunity to attend the event described below)! Registered
participants may be asked to be invited participants.

Encoding Diversity
Seminar, Dec 9, 2016, 10 am-12
Room 111, Information Studies Building.

This UCLA Digital Humanities Seminar engages with critical themes inside
and outside the field. The format is meant to be inviting, generous, sharp,
dialogic and experimental. The theme for the December 9 seminar - "Encoding
Diversity" - invites critical-material engagement with the encoding of
library systems, biodiversity databases, public systems, (digital
humanities) institutions and organizations, visual archives, digital
humanities "data" and more. The use of "encoding" is also meant to indicate
an interest in the active engagement with making, challenging and changing
such structures. The conversation will include Ursula Heise, Geoffrey
Bowker,  Safiya Umoja Noble, Élika Ortega and Todd Presner. No registration
required.