[Humanist] 30.436 a book of interest on the early history

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 08:00:15 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 06:51:55 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: the early history

I fear that I am among the very few interested in the early history of
computing from the perspective of the humanities -- as distinct from but
indebted to the early history of the hardware. So there may be none here
interested in the following book, which is a most valuable contribution
to the social and scientific environment in which that history developed.
If that be the case I apologise, though it is a good (if disturbing) read.

Sharon Ghamari-Tabrizi, The Worlds of Herman Kahn: The Intuitive Science
of Thermonuclear War. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 2005.

If you are interested in the period you will likely already know of her
very fine article, "Simulating the Unthinkable: Gaming Future War in the
1950s and 1960s". Social Studies of Science 30.2 (2000): 163-223. Also
her chapter in Memory Bytes, ed. Rabinovits and Geil, "The Convergence
of the Pentagon and Hollywood".

University