[Humanist] 30.403 events at the British Library Labs

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 11 07:24:22 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:46:19 +0000
        From: Andrew Prescott <Andrew.Prescott at glasgow.ac.uk>
        Subject: British Library Labs: Upcoming Events in October & November 2016

British Library Labs' events

> From: "Lewis, Hana" <Hana.Lewis at bl.uk<mailto:Hana.Lewis at bl.uk>>
> Subject: British Library Labs: Upcoming Events in October & November 2016
> Date: 23 September 2016 at 10:17:41 am BST

BL Labs would like to draw your attention to several fantastic upcoming events, each exploring and celebrating digital scholarship and the Library’s digital collections / data. Follow the links to find out more about each event and to book your place!

Black Abolitionists in 19th Century Britain.
Thu 6 Oct, 19:00 – 21:00
British Library Conference Centre, 96 Euston Road, NW1 2DB
Cost: £8 (Concessions available)

An informative and entertaining evening of talks, performances and discussion about the antislavery movement with scholar Hannah-Rose Murray, actor and writer Joe Williams and actress Martelle Edinborough.
Link: https://goo.gl/WxigUQ

Fourth annual British Library Labs Symposium.
Mon 7 Nov, 9:30 – 17:30
British Library Conference Centre, 96 Euston Road, NW1 2DB
Cost: FREE

The Symposium showcases innovative projects which use the British Library's digital content and provides a platform for development, networking and debate in the digital scholarship field.  This year’s keynote will be given by Melissa Terras , Professor of Digital Humanities at University College London, entitled 'Unexpected repurposing: the British Library's Digital Collections and UCL teaching, research and infrastructure'.
Link:  https://goo.gl/2twnr5

We Are Amused! A Night of Victorian Humour.
Mon 7 Nov, 19:00 – 21:00
British Library Conference Centre, 96 Euston Road, NW1 2DB
Cost: £12 (Concessions available)

Following the BL Labs Symposium, join Dr Bob Nicholson (Edge Hill University) and comedians Zoe Lyons, Bob Mills and Iszi Lawrence for the evening as they unearth thousands of old puns, sketches, one-liners, mother-in-law jokes, saucy songs and other comic clippings from the 19th century.
Link: https://goo.gl/QASR6K

The Way Ahead? Map Making and Digital Skills for Geography Teaching.
Sat 12 Nov, 9:45 – 13:30
British Library Conference Centre, 96 Euston Road, NW1 2DB
Cost: £12 - £24

This half-day conference for Geography teachers at Key Stages 2–5 uncovers the British Library’s forthcoming major exhibition Maps and the 20th Century: Drawing the Line and explores a range of approaches to interpreting and creating maps, with a focus on digital resources, to support and enrich Geography in the Primary and Secondary classroom.
Link: https://goo.gl/f014YR

Black Abolitionist Walking Tour.
Sat 26 Nov, 13:30 – 17:00
Starting at the Freemasons’ Hall, Great Queen Street, London WC2B 5AZ
Cost: FREE (places limited)

An afternoon walking tour around central London which will visit six sites where African American abolitionists made an indelible mark on the British landscape. The walking tour will be followed by food, drinks and a short re-enactment of an antislavery meeting at the Old Crown Public House.
Link: https://goo.gl/N4acXE

Kind regards,
BL Labs team