[Humanist] 30.399 flowcharts?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 10:16:13 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>                    (23)
        Subject: Re:  30.396 flowcharts

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (30)
        Subject: flowcharts

        Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 17:36:15 +1100
        From: Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>

Willard,

I have found a workflow chart to be very useful in providing researchers
with a means to understand steps in processing materials (in this case
language records created in fieldwork), given that we have several tools
for transcribing and then for annotating the transcript, corpus building
and so on, that each has its own requirements for inputs and outputs.

See for example http://www.anu.edu.au/linguistics/nash/fm/flow.html

It is apparently unclear to many researchers that there is a workflow at
all, and so they want to do everything in one step, or they create files in
a format that is not then acceptable to the next tool in the chain. Ideally
there would not be this dependence on tools and their idiosyncratic
requirements, but until that day, the workflow helps lots.

Nick

Nick Thieberger

http://  http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/thieberger *nthieberger.net
 http://nthieberger.net *

Director, *Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered
Cultures (PARADISEC)*  http://paradisec.org.au/

Editor, *Language Documentation & Conservation Journal *
 http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/

CI in the  *Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language*
 http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/