[Humanist] 30.396 flowcharts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 8 08:12:59 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:32:03 +0100
        From: Simon Rae <simon.rae at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  30.388 flowcharts?

Hi Willard,

Possibly a wee bit off your track, but I remember Jim Haag giving a lecture at the City University in 1975 on a new programming language that used flowcharting as the way in to the skills of coding. I tracked down a reference for a paper in ACM Proceedings that I think talks of the same language:

> Haag, James N., Michael A. Kelly, and Paul F. Sherman. "TWO-D: The
> USF Beginner's Two-Dimensional Programming System." ACM SIGPLAN
> Notices. Vol. 7. No. 10. ACM, 1972
>
> A programming system, permitting the user to think 100% that he is
> programming with flowchart symbols, is described. This description
> includes the TWO-D syntax, the user's view-point, the CRT-terminal
> output, the overall structure of the simply-designed programming
> system, the file structure used, some design decisions faced, and the
> flowchart of the supervisory program.

At the time I remember that it seemed a nice way of combining the visuals of a process in diagram form with the necessary formal instructions.

Cheers

Simon