[Humanist] 30.392 pubs: Living with(in) digital technology cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 08:27:34 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 20:25:55 +0300
        From: Compaso Compaso <compaso at COMPASO.EU>
        Subject: CfP - Living with(in) digital technology - Extended Deadline 1 Nov.

Call for Papers

Living with(in) digital technology

Deadline for manuscript submission: November 1st, 2016

We invite research articles and notes that explore how we live with(in)
digital technology, and we welcome texts from multiple disciplines and
genres.

Send manuscripts at compaso at compaso.eu

Our reality is visibly and invisibly transformed through digital
technology. Digitally mediated information flows structure increasingly
deeper and broader layers of daily and professional lives. We live with and
within the omnipresence of Wikipedia, Google Maps and Facebook – to name
just the tip of the iceberg. Computational power is mobile, but
increasingly fixed on our persons, from bags and pockets, to wrists and,
occasionally, glasses. Information technology has gradually become an
infrastructure, an ambient and a part of our extended, distributed selves.

We invite authors to reflect on the significance of digital technologies
for our daily and professional lives, addressing questions such as the
following – or any other related topics:

·       How are our experiences of time and place modified through
digital technology? What about our experiences of friendship and
relatedness, familiarity and awareness, membership and individuality?

·       How are social sciences shaped by widespread use of technology in
generating traces of human behavior, collecting and analyzing big and small
data?

·       How is authorship redefined in an era of human-technological
collaboration – in diverse fields such as arts, sciences, blogging, wiki
contributing, coding?

·       How is cognition and knowledge shaped in the interplay of humans
and computers, and in the distributed networks of digitally mediated
collaborative networks?

·       How does digital technology modify our relationships with
different forms of information – such as medical advice, navigation tips,
scientific publication, or knowledge of other persons?

·       What of our lives becomes more transparent and what becomes more
opaque, in the interplay of surveillance and pursuits of privacy?

·       What are the shifting boundaries of the ‘real world’ as the
counterpart of the digital worlds we visit – from gameworlds and virtual
realities to augmented landscapes and continuous flows of digital snippets?

·       What are the ethical experiences and issues raised by our
increased entanglements with digital technology?

·       How is digital technology socially stratified? Which are the
digital gaps that constitute and reconstitute social stratification and
mobility? What are the distinctive patterns of use and ignorance of
technology for certain categories of people, such as children, young men,
or older women?