[Humanist] 30.526 a book worth the candle

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 29 07:04:07 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 05:57:22 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Computers and the World of the Future

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1480399321_2016-11-29_willard.mccarty@mccarty.org.uk_27262.2.pdf

Someone here, I think, recommended Computers and the World of the
Future, ed. Martin Greenberger (MIT Press, 1962). Now that I have a copy
of the book in my hands I can see why. It is a transcript of a meeting
held at MIT on the occasion of its centenary and a gathering of
luminaries, as you will see from the attached. The quotation on the
cover of the book gives some idea of the intent if not the sentiment of
all that was said:

> Nothing amuses more harmlessly than computation, and nothing is
> oftener applicable to real business or speculative inquiries. A thousand
> stories which the ignorant tell, and believe, die away at once when the
> computist takes them in his grip.
>   --Samuel Johnson

University