[Humanist] 30.505 linked open data (UC Irvine)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 08:22:26 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:45:44 -0500
        From: Hannah L Jacobs <hannahlj at gmail.com>
        Subject: Linked Open Data at UC Irvine

Announcement submitted on behalf of Shu Liu at UC Irvine Libraries:

UC Irvine Libraries is pleased to announce the completion of *Piloting
Linked Open Data for Artists' Books*, a project made possible by a major
grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Through *Piloting Linked Open Data for Artists' Books*, we envision
addressing larger issues of enriching user discovery and resultant
scholarship of physical objects not adequately described by current
practices. By displaying our vision and sharing outcome yielded from this
incubator project, we believe that engaging and fostering new developments
in resource description has the potential to change humanities scholarship.

During this one-year initiative, we explored and tested a series of
resources and tools, and developed workflows that can potentially be
implemented at a larger scale and by other institutions. Staff with various
expertise at UCI Libraries worked closely at all stages of the project to
achieve the goals written in the grant proposal. Major deliverables include
high-quality digital surrogates, RDF-XML metadata enriched from MARC
records and integrating linked open data such as URIs, and a discovery tool
featuring visualizations. The discovery tool was developed by a web
programmer we hired using the grant and collaborated remotely.
The project website, full press release, and list of presentations are
available here: http://www.lib.uci.edu/sites/all/plodab/about.php/

--
Hannah L. Jacobs
Multimedia Analyst, Wired! Lab, Duke University