[Humanist] 30.498 state of relations

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 17 08:33:54 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 06:20:22 -0600
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  30.497 state of relations?

Why not subservience? How can congruence and subservience be two different things until DH is coherently theorized in some way that is relatively independent of any humanities discipline (try to imagine what that would look like)? Otherwise, the computing component of DH can only relate to the humanities component of DH as a set of tools or practices, most of which have been around for quite some time.

I think the persons who tried to perform this task would need dual doctorates in humanities and computing. I'd imagine the humanities discipline would be philosophy, maybe working with people like Robert Brandom.

Another fruitful path might be the creative route, but I think we'd still need a high level of dual competence, and only computing people would be able to appreciate the end product.

Jim R