[Humanist] 30.482 cartoons, comics, models, modelling

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 07:21:37 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 08:17:24 +0000
        From: "Priego, Ernesto" <Ernesto.Priego.1 at city.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re:  30.477 cartoons to comics, model to modelling

Dear Willard,

Thank you again for introducing comics into the thought-provoking discussions here.

Regarding the difference between 'cartoons' and 'comics', a key factor is time and layout. The differences between cartoons and comic strips get more blurry (many famous comic strip series have often had single-panel cartoons, which gather additional meaning from their inclusion within a temporal series of multi-panel comic strips).

Many in comics studies tend to see cartoons and therefore cartooning as a component of comics (though one can have comics without cartoons- as in photo comics or 'abstract' comics). Robert Fiore has an interested essay on 'cartoony' as an adjective to describe some comics artists' graphic style that might help expand the modelling comparison http://classic.tcj.com/blog/adventures-in-nomenclature-literal-liberal-and-freestyle/.

The 'definitional' debate in comics is long and, as in DH, it can become tiresome, and distinctions between cartoons, comics and 'graphic novels' tend to both excite and irritate aficionados, artists and scholars alike.

For a conversation about Unflattening between two comics scholars who also make comics (and the other way around), readers might be interested in

Wilkins, P. & Herd, D., (2015). Unpacking Unflattening: A Conversation. The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship. 5(1), p.Art. 11. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/cg.bi

All the best,

Ernesto

Dr Ernesto Priego
Lecturer in Library Science
School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
City, University of London