[Humanist] 30.476 Thomas Jefferson Award to Jerome McGann

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 9 07:33:35 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 18:37:04 +0000
        From: "Wells, Sarah P. (spw4s)" <spw4s at eservices.virginia.edu>
        Subject: Congratulations to Jerry McGann

[From the IATH (Virginia) newsletter. Note that McGann "accepted the award on behalf of his colleagues". --WM]

Dear IATHians,

Jerry McGann was recently awarded UVa’s highest honor, the Thomas Jefferson Award, for his scholarship. He was one of the first two IATH fellows (Ed Ayers was the other), and has been a long-time supporter of IATH and of DH. We are delighted for him and offer our sincere congratulations. You can read all about it here:

http://as.virginia.edu/news/english-professor-jerome-mcgann-receives-thomas-jefferson-award-scholarship

Sincerely yours,
Sarah

---------------------------

Sarah Wells
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
spw4s at virginia.edu<mailto:spw4s at virginia.edu>    434-924-4370

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heavens yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I saw, 'tis what it's all about.

(Jeff Brechlin, Potomac Falls.
Stolen from the Washington Post's Style Invitational Week CLXI)