[Humanist] 30.468 events: the digital arts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 6 09:23:52 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 10:06:51 +0000
        From: "Brainard Carey" <brainardcarey at gmail.com>
        Subject: Interviews - Langlands & Bell / HUO / Documenta 14 open call / Alpha and Omega

[For those interested in what artists are now doing with the digital, the following. Note the mention of Dokumenta at the end of the note. Having been there once I can attest to the value of experiencing work at the highly experimental edge of digital technologies (as well as other kinds). And for those with such interests note that Interdisciplinary Science Reviews will be publishing ca. March 2017 a double issue dedicated to "The experimental generation", co-edited by Bronac Feran and Lizzie Fisher, on the early years of experiments with technology in the creative arts. The contributors are: Stephen Bann, Dean Hawkes, Reg Gadney, George Mallen, Jasia Reichardt, Jonathan Benthall, Steve Willey, Stephen Willats, Liliane Lijn & Barry Miles, Greg Thomas, Bronac Ferran, Elizabeth Fisher, Ernest Edmonds & Francesca Franco, Nick Lambert and Ann Pillar. --WM]

Dear Reader,

In a world that was spinning long before our arrival, how simple a task is
it to declare a beginning or an end? When is a gesture truly our own? The
interviews showcased this week pluck knowingly the strings of experience,
and answer these questions in song.

Differing in approach, yet synthesized by interests, the unflagging minds of
Ben Langlands and Nikki Bell
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=2sYanqwGqHwc8YoIpA8.hQ]
have surmounted a variety of sculptural and digital manifestations,
regardless of logistics. United in their pursuit of the personal
undercurrent exposed by artistic expression, the two London-based artists
have sought out a kind of collaborative poetry written in the language of
architecture.

Despite any formal training in architecture, intuition has proved itself,
for the duo, an invaluable canary in the coalmine of public semiotics.
Whether they are refining the aesthetics of the oldest underground railway
in the world or experimenting with conceptual and immersive gallery
installations, their earnest admiration for the swarms of animated discourse
that chatter beneath the panels of our visual world comes to the fore.

Zurich-born curatorial juggernaut Hans Ulrich Obrist
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=6dVdiLiX5hvM4MOFi7Pflg]
is both the glue of the contemporary art world and the applying hand. A
paragon of interdisciplinary dialectics, Obrist passes through the junctures
that separate objects, ideas, and people like an impulse through a synapse.
The medium of his art is the exhibition, and his program is boundless
experimentation. Endeavoring to uncover those rare and perceptive thinkers
who add new rules to the grand game of art, Obrist follows the
straightforward but proven methodology of intimate and repeated conversation
- discussions with creators and organizers can sometimes span an entire
career. The ideology behind the curator's voracity for material (one that
results in the archiving of nearly 3000 hours of interviews) is that of an
inclusive and Darwinian global dialogue, adapting and evolving without
erasing or replacing. Speaking from the self-ascribed moniker of flâneur,
Obrist reassures us that our present and future identities will not be
engulfed by the competing diversity of perspectives, but rather enriched and
matured by their fervor and ambition.

Additional interviews include: Will Corwin
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=DefFd.nuqqgswdMNjVxr.w]
and Marco Antonini
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=IYKQq0JPhC8981Bz8WXcGA].

Tell us what you've been reading
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=tEqvEVQCRlgLLj3Vxkp8kA]!
Kulapat Yantrasast is exploring Off the Wall
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=ZRiH0SOOylnPZmBdt1g_Yg]
by Calvin Tomkins, an engaging and comprehensive summation of the
exponential changes to the international art scene set in motion by famed
American abstract expressionist Robert Rauschenberg. Joan Waltermath,
another one of our users, is perusing Triple Canopy's publication
Speculations ("The future is...")
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=_o.ys6pE24dAUJzUoFxLQQ],
a noble symposium of thinkers, from all disciplines, keen on articulating
their particular economic, cultural, and existential predictions of the
ineluctable global soup.

For the learned and experienced few, the rare opportunity to become a Member
of the Chorus in the upcoming documenta 14
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=9NfJ3wda4u58SQePiS4VLQ]
exhibition has presented itself. Occurring every five years in Kassel
Germany, the illustrious exhibition showcases the cream of the contemporary
crop, garnering immense national and international attention. Until December
5th, applicants have the chance to join the exclusive team of thinkers whose
role is to critically engage with and inform visitors, fostering a
reciprocal, diverse, and heightened level of discourse.

---

We are all honored, at first, with a keyring. What we add, or remove, is
forever our decision.

---

As always, here are the links to the interview archive
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=9Lswf0KvjneUcscIM8pm3Q]
and free resources
[http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=E1Q_k&m=h9E0t63Mc63qNqE&b=bSCSjQLjK7Jc5H8_lxNH7g]
page.