[Humanist] 30.456 events: archaeology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 2 08:51:02 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 11:45:49 +0000
        From: kcl - digitalhumanities <digitalhumanities at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: CAA-UK, Winchester 2017 Call for papers now open

Computer Applications & Quantitative Methods in Archaeology
CAA-UK 2017 – Through the looking glass

The CAA-UK 2017 organisers would like to invite papers and posters for the CAA-UK 2017 meeting, to be held at the Ashburton Hall in Winchester on Saturday 4th March – Sunday 5th March 2017.

CAA-UK aims to encourage communication between UK-based archaeologists, mathematicians and computer scientist. Contributions are invited which address all aspects of Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology. In addition, we would particularly welcome contributions that consider future approaches to computational archaeology.

Computational archaeology is an ever-changing discipline, with newer software and processing packages regularly becoming available. The introduction of new methods through novel software and recording solutions provides a basis in which archaeology can adapt, and at CAA-UK 2017 we especially welcome papers that introduce these new methods to the discipline, assessing how they can add to our understanding of the past. Papers that focus on evaluating current computational practises, reviewing how the discipline can change, and how the discipline can adapt to achieve more robust scientific outcomes, are also encouraged. As with the introduction of newer methods, we also welcome papers that follow the suggested topics below:

§  Integration of scientific and theoretical methods in computing
§  Visualisation & Mixed Reality in Archaeology
§  GIS & Geospatial Analysis
§  Geophysics & Remote sensing
§  Photogrammetry & 3D Recording
§  Statistical methods
§  Semantic web
§  Public Engagement
§  Visualisation & 3D modelling
§  Social media
§  Data management

Full details of the conference, including booking & venue information as well as accepted abstracts will be available in due course at uk.caa-international.org

Abstracts should be a maximum of 350 words with paper proposals geared around 20 minute presentations. Please send your abstracts to the organisers at: caa-uk at caaconference.org.

Limited amounts of bursaries will be available for student participation at the conference.

The Deadline for abstract submission is Friday 6th January 2017.