[Humanist] 30.452 and more on flowcharts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 08:01:57 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:50:25 +0000
        From: "Gudridge, Patrick O." <pgudridg at law.miami.edu>
        Subject: Re:  30.446 and more on flowcharts

Hello!

Ashbery's Flow Chart is thought to be a poetic accomplishment of very, very high order (I am told, I believe, maybe we all know already).  Somehow the poem -- although really long -- pulls the reader along (caught up in the flow, as it were).  It is very hard to read all the way through, as every reader discovers, but can be happily read in bits and pieces in any order (the flow picks up from wherever it starts).  "Flow" is watery, it seems, the chart is nautical maybe, and the difficulty follows accordingly.  I recall Harold Bloom as treating the poem at some length somewhere.  Maybe that's a start.

Best,

Pat Gudridge

Sent from my iPhone