[Humanist] 30.48 virtuous qualities of an editor

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 24 07:20:55 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 15:22:43 -0400
        From: drwender at aol.com
        Subject: Re:  30.46 virtuous qualities of an editor

Dear all,

via Google Books I found some context for the discussed definition in „Murray Reassessed“ (Stray 2007, p. 114, note 27):

"Amusing here is a letter cited by C. Archer in his account of his father's friendship with Murray (Archer 1936, 36–7), which includes Murray's definition of an apparatus for a layman: 'An apparatus criticus is a list of Ms. variations, with occasional remarks thereon. Only men of the highest moral character, religion, and social grace can produce one satisfactorily.' The deWnition is cited by D. Wilson 1987, 114."

2 cents?

„Amusing“

„an apparatus for a layman“

If I remember right: Dom Froger split the job of stemma-building into 2 steps, the first suited to be done by an idiot resp. by a machine. To what extent is the moral character involved in the following steps to build the apparatus? Where begins a work for which are needed more than secondary virtues?

I'm tending to conclude some irony in Murray's letter; but as a 'non English' I hope for further advice.

Herbert