[Humanist] 30.46 virtuous qualities of an editor

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun May 22 08:43:15 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 12:09:42 +0200
        From: Guido Milanese <guido.milanese at unicatt.it>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 30.34 virtuous qualities of an editor

On 18/05/2016 07:20, Willard McCarty -- Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> This opens up into a series of questions. Murray (1866-1957) was
> an Australian-born British classical scholar and public intellectual,
> first at Glasgow, then at Oxford as Regius Professor of Greek. What
> would a person of that time and social position have meant by those virtues?
> How would we determine his meanings? What was he getting at by requiring
> them specifically of an editor? What would our requirements be? Would
> they be likely to touch on the editor's character, his or her beliefs,
> manner of conduct in society? How would our requirements be reflected in
> the methods and tools of editing?

The excellent book edited by Christopher Stray, /Gilbert Murray
Reassessed: Hellenism, Theatre, and International Politics/, Oxford, OUP
2007, is a 'must' in this field, as all the other works written or
edited by Stray. His research in the field of Victorian 20th century
classical scholarship is incredibly important: the main point, it seems
to me (I am not English) is that, as in other countries, the University
Professor of Classics was regarded as a model, a point of reference, by
many people. This was particularly important in Germany (see Wilamowitz)
but also in other countries. When Murray visited the US for lecturing
and for reading his translations, it was really an event. This could
explain, probably, the "sense of responsibility" that is so clear in his
words, dealing apparently with a purely technical process.
Incidentally, I am a classicist myself...

my tuppence :-)
gm

--
Guido Milanese
Professor of Classics, Docteur HC Paris ICP