[Humanist] 30.34 virtuous qualities of an editor

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed May 18 07:20:09 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (23)
        Subject: editors of good character

  [2]   From:    Charles Faulhaber <cbf at berkeley.edu>                      (36)
        Subject: Re:  30.32 virtuous qualities of the editor of texts?

        Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 07:05:24 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Francois' question, of how we would translate Gilbert Murray's
prerequisites, strikes me as a question one might put to candidates at a
job-interview for a post in history -- after supplying the biographical
facts:

> <quote>
> An <i>apparatus criticus</i> [...] is a list of the MS. variations, with
> occasional remarks thereon. Only men of the highest moral character,
> religion, and social grace can produce one satisfactorily.
> </quote>

This opens up into a series of questions. Murray (1866-1957) was
an Australian-born British classical scholar and public intellectual,
first at Glasgow, then at Oxford as Regius Professor of Greek. What
would a person of that time and social position have meant by those virtues?
How would we determine his meanings? What was he getting at by requiring
them specifically of an editor? What would our requirements be? Would
they be likely to touch on the editor's character, his or her beliefs,
manner of conduct in society? How would our requirements be reflected in
the methods and tools of editing?

Humanities, King's College London