[Humanist] 30.27 training

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun May 15 09:54:28 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Elisa <ebbondar at gmail.com>                                (16)
        Subject: Re: Training

  [2]   From:    Elena <elenagonzalezblanco at yahoo.es>                       (4)
        Subject: Re:  30.23 training

        Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 10:48:15 -0400
        From: Elisa <ebbondar at gmail.com>

Dear Susan,

In addition to those mentioned, there are courses on specific topics available, such as the affordable and in-residence Coding School offered annually in May or June in Greensburg, PA by the Digital Mitford Project. See https://digitalmitford.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/digital-mitford-coding-school-june-25-27-2016/ for an overview.

 The Coding School offers participants an orientation to digital project development and management from a point of view within an active ongoing project. If offers trains in TEI for manuscripts and correspondence as well as regular expression matching and XPath, and we are preparing a "Part 2" experience for those interested in XSLT and XQuery (all of which we are well prepared to teach). Registrations are now filled for this summer's Coding but if there are last-minute peeps of interest, I can see if we have room.

Additionally, I teach two 15-week semester courses at Pitt-Greensburg in Coding and Digital Archives and Coding and Data Visualization, each of which are designed to train people from "scratch" (no experience with coding) to design and build digital projects, and my courses are an Open Education Resource, with tutorials and homework exercises all available from http://newtfire.org/dh/ . I am seeking user and peer review feedback on my course material, by the way, on MERLOT:  https://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=1161288

My two courses are modeled on (but with significant variations and emphases) another semester-long course at Pitt, which trained me and has trained other faculty and graduate students as well as undergraduates: please see my colleague David Birnbaum's course at Obdurodon: http://dh.obdurodon.org . You may want to consider finding a semester-long course offering in residence for an intensive learning and project-development experience--it was exactly what I needed to establish a firm foundation in DH.

Best,
Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD