[Humanist] 30.22 deliberate interdisciplinary training

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat May 14 09:05:44 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Benjamin Vis <B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk>                         (10)
        Subject: deliberate interdisciplinary training?

  [2]   From:    Kathryn_Tomasek <tomasek_kathryn at wheatoncollege.edu>      (42)
        Subject: Re:  30.20 deliberate interdisciplinary training?

        Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 12:56:00 +0000
        From: Benjamin Vis <B.N.Vis at kent.ac.uk>

Dear Willard,

I'm in a 5-year DH Postdoc not necessarily receiving digital training and giving only some. I am not a flexible, broad, or highly skilled computational polyglot, but rather simply know a little about GIS mapping and analysis and pushed its boundaries theoretically and analytically in my research (importantly needing geocomputationist collaboration to do this in practice!). If it was the intention in this post to have me train others in this field (digital or not), it's not really being supported (GIS nor my disciplines having a big role in our institute), and if it was intended that I'd become a geocomputationist developer I suppose I should seek out such training myself. Yet, personally I prefer establishing strong interdisciplinary collaborations, which unfortunately require successful larger grants to hire the collaborates (work in progress for me). Beyond the digital, I am interdisciplinary trained by default, switching through degrees, between archaeology and human geography.

In the fashion of FB, 'It's complicated'?

Is this the kind of situation or information you were after?

All best,
Benjamin

Dr Benjamin N. Vis | +44 (0)1227 82 6543 | https://kent.academia.edu/BenjaminVis |
School of European Culture & Languages | University of Kent |
Rutherford College W3.E7 | Canterbury CT2 7NX | UK |