[Humanist] 30.20 deliberate interdisciplinary training?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 13 06:59:33 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 05:48:35 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: training

Here is a question brought to mind by the recent, more immediately
practical question of training: has anyone instituted postdocs which
train early-career academics in digital humanities by way of
service-orientated apprenticeships? In effect a number of us from my
generation (and from ones that followed) went through such training as a
matter of food-on-the-table necessity. However resentful I was then,
subsequently I have come greatly to appreciate what I learned from
speaking to academics across the disciplines and helping them to figure
out what computers could do for their research. I have often thought
since then that the right way to receive such training (which I think is
essential to a concentration in digital humanities) would be through a 3
to 5-year postdoctoral fellowship.

Administrations move slowly -- and that is in many respects a good
thing. But what if they didn't in this case? Has anyone thought or even
acted along similar lines?

Humanities, King's College London