[Humanist] 30.18 events: museums; sentiment analysis; viral popular science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 13 06:53:32 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    feeds <feeds at sentic.net>                                  (80)
        Subject: CFP: 6th ICDM Workshop on Sentiment Analysis (SENTIRE),
                Dec2016, Barcelona

  [2]   From:    Mia <mia.ridge at gmail.com>                                 (71)
        Subject: MCG's UK Museums on the Web 2016: first Call for Proposals

  [3]   From:    Mia <mia.ridge at gmail.com>                                 (34)
        Subject: IHR Digital History seminar, Tuesday May 17: Ryan Cordell on
                “The Best Mechanical Paper in the World”: Scientific
                American, Reprinting, and the Circulation of Popular Science
                in Nineteenth-Century Newspapers

        Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 06:15:16 +0000
        From: feeds <feeds at sentic.net>
        Subject: CFP: 6th ICDM Workshop on Sentiment Analysis (SENTIRE), Dec2016, Barcelona

Submissions are invited to the 6th ICDM Workshop on Sentiment Elicitation from
Natural Text for Information Retrieval and Extraction (SENTIRE) to be held at
ICDM'16 this December in Barcelona. For more information, please visit
http://sentic.net/sentire

RATIONALE
Memory and data capacities double approximately every two years and, apparently,
the Web is following the same rule. User-generated contents, in particular, are
an ever-growing source of opinion and sentiments which are continuously spread
worldwide through blogs, wikis, fora, chats and social networks. The
distillation of knowledge from such sources is a key factor for applications in
fields such as commerce, tourism, education and health, but the quantity and the
nature of the contents they generate make it a very difficult task. Due to such
challenging research problems and wide variety of practical applications,
opinion mining and sentiment analysis have become very active research areas in
the last decade.

Our understanding and knowledge of the problem and its solution are still
limited as natural language understanding techniques are still pretty weak. Most
of current research in sentiment analysis, in fact, merely relies on machine
learning algorithms. Such algorithms, despite most of them being very effective,
produce no human understandable results such that we know little about how and
why output values are obtained. All such approaches, moreover, rely on
syntactical structure of text, which is far from the way the human mind
processes natural language. Next-generation opinion mining systems should employ
techniques capable to better grasp the conceptual rules that govern sentiment
and the clues that can convey these concepts from realization to verbalization
in the human mind.

TOPICS
SENTIRE aims to provide an international forum for researchers in the field of
opinion mining and sentiment analysis to share information on their latest
investigations in social information retrieval and their applications both in
academic research areas and industrial sectors. The broader context of the
workshop comprehends Web mining, AI, Semantic Web, information retrieval and
natural language processing. Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
• Sentiment identification & classification
• Opinion and sentiment summarization & visualization
• Explicit & latent semantic analysis for sentiment mining
• Concept-level opinion and sentiment analysis
• Sentic computing
• Opinion and sentiment search & retrieval
• Time evolving opinion & sentiment analysis
• Semantic multidimensional scaling for sentiment analysis
• Multidomain & cross-domain evaluation
• Domain adaptation for sentiment classification
• Multimodal sentiment analysis
• Multimodal fusion for continuous interpretation of semantics
• Multilingual sentiment analysis & re-use of knowledge bases
• Knowledge base construction & integration with opinion analysis
• Transfer learning of opinion & sentiment with knowledge bases
• Sentiment corpora & annotation
• Affective knowledge acquisition for sentiment analysis
• Biologically inspired opinion mining
• Sentiment topic detection & trend discovery
• Big social data analysis
• Social ranking
• Social network analysis
• Social media marketing
• Comparative opinion analysis
• Opinion spam detection

SUBMISSIONS AND PROCEEDINGS
Authors are required to follow IEEE ICDM Proceedings Author Guidelines. The
paper length is limited to 10 pages, including references, diagrams, and
appendices, if any. However, please note that page 9 and 10 are considered extra
(and, hence, charged) in the final submission. Manuscripts are to be submitted
through CyberChair. Each submitted paper will be evaluated by three PC members
with respect to its novelty, significance, technical soundness, presentation,
and experiments. Accepted papers will be published in IEEE ICDM proceedings.
Selected, expanded versions of papers presented at the workshop will be invited
to a forthcoming Special Issue of Cognitive Computation on opinion mining and
sentiment analysis.

TIMEFRAME
• August 12th, 2016: Submission deadline
• September 13th, 2016: Notification of acceptance
• September 20th, 2016: Final manuscripts due
• December 12th, 2016: Workshop date

ORGANIZERS
• Erik Cambria, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
• Bing Liu, University of Illinois at Chicago (USA)
• Amir Hussain, University of Stirling (UK)
• Yongzheng Zhang, LinkedIn Inc. (USA)